||Nov 7 2014
Bruce Landon, Ph.D.
Bruce Landon’s Weblog for Students
Table of Contents
Cognitive Psychology 2360
- Draft Cognitive Psychology Course Outline Winter 2007
- CogSci 2006 Vancouver July 27-29 program
- links to full text Proceedings and papers of CogSci 2006
- Google definitions of Cognitive Psychology
- Cognitive Psychology related news
- Wikipedia Cognitive Psychlogy topics
- College Committee Involvement
- 2000- Technology Mangement and Planning Committee
- 1999- Educational Technology Forum
- 1997-8 College Matrix Committee
- 1995-6 Computer Mediated Communication – BC Users Group member, SCOET
- 1995-6 Advisory Committee Member for Interactive TV/Video teleconferencing Invovations
- 1995-6 Instructional Division Instructional Technology Committee Member
- 1994-6 Bargaining Coordination and Review Committee Chair, CIEA
- 1992-6 Negotiations Committee Chair, Douglas College Faculty Association
- 1987- Member of Research Ethics Board (formerly Testing and Research Review Committee
- Community Involvement
- 2004-2005 Member of the BioMoleculesAlive.org site Advisory Committee
- 2003- President of Cameray Community Fund
- 1999-03 Vice President of Cameray Community Fund
- 1992-98 President of Cameray Community Fund (formerly Citizen’s Development Fund)
- 1987-98 President of Citizen’s Development Fund
- 1986- Board of Directors of Citizen’s Development Fund which is a Society to actively assist in community development by sponsoring projects such as Cameray Childrens’ Centre which is an intensive counseling program for children and their families serving Burnaby and New Westminster since 1972.
Presented Workshops and Presentations
ePortfolios: Assessment and beyond at the with Russ Poulin and Cara Lane WCET Annual Conference in Portland Oregon on November 02, 2006, at 3:00 p.m.
- Learning Management Systems: Today, Tomorrow & Beyond Workshop ACHE 67th Annual Meeting, Madision Wisconsin, October 31, 2005, 1:45
- E-Portfolio Triumphs: a value-added service, Roundtable Discussion WCET 17th Annual Conference, November 04, 2005, 9:30
- Digital Learning Objects Repositories: Picking a Winner in the Software Derby WCET 17th Annual Conference, November 04, 2005, 11:00
- eLearning Management Solution Industry: Mergers, Open Source … What’s in store? SREB Online Learning Task Group Meeting, December 7, 2005
- Digital Learning Objects Repositories – Care and Feeding
(with Diane Chubb, Scott Leslie, Cory Stokes, and Tim Tirrell)
WCET Annual Conference in San Antonio on Friday, November 12, 2004 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- EduTools: Practical Lessons in Selecting a Course and Learning Management System (with Robert Larson, Scott Leslie, and Russell Poulin) WCET Annual Conference in San Antonio on Saturday, November 13, 2004 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- Have You Outgrown Your Homegrown? Lessons Learned in
Converting from a Successful Homegrown Course Management System (with Susan Smith and Rene Weston-Eborn from Weber State University) at WCET’s 15th Annual Converence, November 2-5, in San Diego
- Edutools Project Panel Moderator at WCET’s 15th Annual Converence, November 2-5, in San Diego
- Selecting a CMS for Your Institution: Hitting a Moving Target at the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education confernce (with David Kaufman, Bill Glackman, Lawrence Parisotto, and Jim Tom) in Vancouver on June 13, 2003
- Course & Content Management Systems at NorthWest Academic Computing Consortium Conference on Online Content
on June 5, 2003 in Portland, Oregon
- Course Management Tools – What are the Important Characteristics? Eductional Technology Users Group Meeting at Kwantlen University College, Richmond, BC on November 21, 2002
- Hard Choices: Selecting a Course Management System
E-Learn 2002, Montreal, Canada, October 15-19, 2002Decision-making in the Context of Evaluating Course Management Systems at the Institute for Managing and Developing E-learning on July 22, 2002 Park City, Utah, at 1-2:15 pm
- Hard Choices for Individual Situations: Selecting a Course Management System at ED-MEDIA 2002 — Denver, Colorado on June 27, 2002, at 10-11 am
- Demo of JAWS, Bobby and a Talk about Accessibility Issues with Dustin Walsh for the Spring Workshop on Eductional Technologies 2002, May 10, 2002 at the Justice Institute of BC. 2:15 pm
- Supporting high Stakes CMS Decision Making telepresentation for the Technology Applications and Resource Group of the National University Telecommunications Network on April 17, 2002 at 12:00 – 1 pm
- Developing Your Own Online Resources Efficiently at Horizons 2001 -A Technology Odessey, Surrey, BC on October 20, 2001, 9:40 – 10:30 am
- ADA Compliance: Issues of Internet Accessibility (moderator)
WCET Annual Conference Coeur d’Alene, Idaho on November 2, 2001 at 8:30 – 9:45 am
- Accessibility audit presentationOverview of Learning Technologies & Tools at the e-Learning Week at UBC, Vancouver, BC on July 9, 2001, at 1:00 – 2:30 pm
- Evaluating Course Management Systems at the Institute for Managing and Developing E-learning Park City, Utah on July 16, 1:30 – 2:45 pm
- Accessibility Audit for WebCT Courses at WebCT’s 3rd Annual User Conference, Transforming the Educational Experience, June 23-27, at the Hyatt Regency in Vancouver, British Columbia. submitted short paper
- Developing Your Own Online Resources Efficiently
at Connections 2001, Whistler, BC on May 6 3:30 – 4:15 pm
Presentation on line or diskette.zip resource
- Evaluating Course Management Software: It’s a Tricky Business
at The Western Cooperative’s 12th Annual Meeting in the Hyatt Regency in Albuquerque, New Mexico on Thursday, November 2, 2000, at 1:30 p.m.
- Mini-Course: Creating and Delivering Web-based Courses
at WebNet 2000 will be in San Antonio, Texas on October 30, 2000, at 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Developing Your Own Online Resources at the Online Resources for Undergraduate Life Sciences: Finding Them, Using Them at Physiology Insights Workshop in AirLie Center, Warrenton, VA on September 24-25, 2000
- Mini-Course: Creating and Delivering Web-based Courses
at ED-MEDIA 2000 — Montreal, Quebec, Canada on June 26, 2000
- Comparison of Web Course Delivery Platforms for International Center for Computer Enhanced Learning at Wake Forest University, November 9, 1999. at Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Comparative Analysis of Online Educational Delivery Applications at ALN99 preconference workshop October 8, 1999. at College Park, Maryland
- Technical Issues in WWW-Based Course Support at ED-MEDIA preconference workshop and proceedings paper at SeaTac, Washington (with Robby Robson)
- Work & Society: Innovations in Canadian Colleges, Presentation at Telelearning 98, The Third Annual Conference on the Telelearning Network of Centres of Excellence, Vancouver, British Columbia, November 15, 1998. (with R. Bruce, D. Baleshta, and C. Gratham)
- OLIN Professional Development Workshop Evaluating Criteria for Web Conferencing on March 12 & 13, 1998 in Corner Brook, Newfoundland
- OLIN Professional Development Workshop Evaluating Criteria for Web Conferencing on March 16 & 17, 1998 in St. Johns Newfoundland
- Progress in the Comparative Analaysis of Online Educational Delivery Applications, Presentation at Connections 98: Bridging the Gap, Vancouver, British Columbia, May 10, 1998.
- Future instructor interface example: Grading online submissions by voice dictation, Presentation at Connections 98: Bridging the Gap, Vancouver, British Columbia, May 11, 1998.
- Evaluating Course Management Systems Used to Develop and Administer Online Courses, Presentation at Distance Education: Designing for Success-Encore Conference, Bellvue, Washington, May 28, 1998. (with Jim Shuman)
Publications and Presented Paper
- Landon, B. (2002). Hard Choices for Individual Situations. In D. French, N. Olrech, C. Johnson, & C. Hale (Eds.), Blended Learning: An Ongoing Process for Internet Integration (pp. 197-218). e-Linkages, Inc. in cooperation with Trafford Publishing.
- Technical Issues in Systems for WWW-based Course Support, International Journal of Educational Telecommunications, 1999, 5(4), p437-453. (with Robby Robson)
- Making Decisions About Educational Technology, Discourse, 1998, 3(2), 13-16.
- Measuring Academic Outcomes … and identifying what influences them, Presented paper at the annual Forum of the Association of Institutional Researchers, Baltimore, MD., May 1989. (with J. Cousineau)
- Stimulus, task and environmental characteristics as factors in the cognitive processing of English sentences. Bulletin of the Psychonomic Society, 1983, 21, 1-3 (with N. Kalish, D.S. Rank, and P. Suedfeld)
- The Effects of Reduced Stimulation on Divergent and Convergent thinking. Environment and Behavior, 1983, 15, 6, 727-738 (with P. Suedfeld and E. Ballard)
- Restricted Environmental Stimulation Therapy in the treatment of Essential Hypertension. Behavior Research and Therapy 1982, 20, 533-559. (with P. Suedfeld and C. Roy)
- Approaches to Treatment, Chapter in Psychopathic Behavior: Approaches to Research. Eds. H. Hare and D. Schalling, Wiley, London 1978. (with P. Suedfeld)
- Complexity as Multidimensional Perception: The effects of sensory deprivation on concept identification. Psychonomic Science, 1977, 10 (1), 137-138. (with P. Suedfeld)
- The Unimportance of experimenter-bias in sensory deprivation research. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 1976, 42, 619-624. (with P. Suedfeld)
- Treatment information system for feedback and evaluation in a mental health setting. Paper presented at the Information and Feedback Conference at York University, Toronto, Canada. November 7, 1974. (with Marian Merchant)
- Field evaluation of a microfilm storage retrieval device for directory assistance. Paper presented at the annual Human Factors Society meeting in Los Angeles, September, 1972 (with G. Kubitsky)
- Complex cognitive performance and sensory deprivation: completing the U-curve. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 1972, 34, 602-602. (with P. Suedfeld)
- An experimental attack on smoking. International Journal of the Addictions, 1972, 7, 721-723. (with P. Suedfeld)
- The role of experimenter and subject expectations in sensory deprivation. Representative research in Social Psychology, 1971, 2, 21-27. (with P. Suedfeld, Y. Epstein, and R. Pargament)
- The effects of set on mere exposure. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1971, 17, 121-123. (with P. Suedfeld, Y. Epstein, and E. Buchanan)
- Motivational arousal and task complexity: Support for a model of cognitive changes in sensory deprivation. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 1970, 62, 329-330. (with P. Suedfeld)
- Information and meaningfulness needs in sensory deprivation. Psychonomic Science, 1969, 5 (4), 248 (with P. Suedfeld)
Technical Memoranda and Procedure Manuals
- Douglas College Technology/Computer Survey, March 1995. (with Joan Shafer, Tim Frick, Marie-Andree Rivet, Howard Eaton, and Bob Browne)
- Behavior Management Guide, Individualized treatment job aide, Fairview Training Center, Spring 1983.Group Home Rules, Priority ordered rules of conduct, Fairview Training Center, Spring 1983.
- Use of Seclusion and Restraint, Policy and Procedure Manual section 2.27.3, Eastern Oregon Hospital and Training Center, June 1981. (Filing Subjects — Progression of Least Restrictive Interventions)
- Managerial Program Evaluation through Client Follow-up. Research Division, Alcohol and Drug Commission, June, 1980. (Filing Subjects — Decision tables, Addiction Severity Index, Management Information System).
- Brief Relaxation Script. September 1973. (Adapted from Suskind and Cheek) 1973 and Field tested at Princeton Neuropsychiatric Hospital, Regional Psychiatric Centre-Pacific, Fairview Training Center and Hospital.
- Demographic Characteristics of Metropolitan Directory Assistance Operators, Bell Laboratories Technical Memorandum MM70-9131-1, 1972. (with R.A. Kulp and E.A. Rosenblum) (Filing Subjects — Operator Characteristics, Experimental Survey Design, Operator Attitudes)
- Motivational Arousal, Task Complexity and Experimenter Bias, Doctoral Dissertation, Rutgers University, January 1972. (Filing Subjects — Complexity Definition, Keypunch modification for apparatus programming, Experimenter Bias Control, Sensory Deprivation Arousal)
- Information or Meaning Drive in Sensory Deprivation, Master’s Thesis, Rutgers University, June 1969.
- The Effects of Task and Time on Boredom, Honours Thesis, University of Utah, August 1967.
Software for Instructors
- xamtoolbox of FireFox browser based tools version 2005 for test development as BCCommons license for open use. (due to lack of IE standards compliance some tools will not work in IE browser)
- XAM_TOOL.xls add-in for Excel 5.0 (Windows) is a test scoring and analysis system that provides the following features: input from Optical Mark Scanner output files, multiple forms both generated and scored, grade sheet automatically setup and added to, test item analysis including item bias, also includes a matching error analysis to encourage academic honesty. Customizable .ini file and comprehensive windows help file included.
- New version that also makes timed fill-in-the-blank selftests at the end of the presentation
Evaluation designer for 5 options by 10 criteria procduces an interactive form for weighted averages style of evaluation. The weights can be edited as well as the ratings which provides an easy way to do sensitivity analysis of a complex decision process. The added benefit is that this multi-attribute decision process provides an auditable trail of how the decision was determined. By using the interactive form the limits of trying to do impossibly large decisions in one’s head can be surpassed because the form keeps the data load from being overwhelming to the decision maker. The essence of the process is very similar
to weighted grading systems that are commonly used in courses for assigning marks. Ethical Decision-Making version
simple version for decision making about dropping a course
- getscore.html is a web based test scoring processor that
takes an item key string and an item response string as input and returns an item score string along with a raw score and a percentage score. Missing data and skipped items are handled if
they are indicated as spaces or minus signs (dashes -) in the item keys or the item responses.
- 1982 Nonviolent Crisis Intervention at Crisis Prevention Institute
1976 Rational Emotive Therapy at Institute for Rational Living NW
- 1972 Ph.D. Experimental Social Psychology at Rutgers University
1969 M.S. Experimental Social Psychology at Rutgers University
1967 B.S. General Experimental Psychology at University of Utah
- 1977 Scientific Research Society of North America membership
1969 National Institutes for Mental Health Predoctoral Fellow
1967 Honours Bachelor of Science Cum Laude
1967 National Science Foundation Undergraduate Fellow
2001- Senior Advisor, Western Cooperative for Educational Telecommunication, Boulder, Colorado.
1993-96 Vice-President for Negotiations, Douglas College Faculty Association, New Westminster, British Columbia.
1981-83 Unit Psychologist for Mentally Handicapped Adults at Fairview Training Center, Salem, Oregon and Eastern Oregon Hospital and Training Center, Pendleton, Oregon.
1979-80 Coordinator of Evaluative Research, Research Department Alcohol and Drug Commission, Vancouver, B.C.
1977-78 Founder of Arrest Smoking Clinic Vancouver, British Columbia.
1975-77 Visiting Assistant Professor, Psychology Department, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia.
- 1973-75 Director of Research, Regional Psychiatric Centre, Canadian Penitentiary Service, Abbotsford, British Columbia.1972-73
- Member of Research Staff, Riverside Research Institute, New York City, New York.
- 1969-72 Business Systems Specialist, Business Information Systems Division, Bell Telephone Laboratories, Piscataway, New Jersey.
1998 Workshops on Evaluation Criteria for Web Conferencing for Open Learning and Information Network, Memorial University of Newfoundland
1994-95 Workshops for College Instructors on Test Item Analysis
1994 Workshop for College Instructors on using computer based classroom demonstrations.
1993 Workshop on computerized test scoring for Maple Ridge Mental Health Centre, Maple Ridge, British Columbia.
1984- Introductory Psychology, Experimental Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Psychological Statistics, Behaviour in Organizations and Social Psychology for the Psychology Department, Douglas College, New Westminster, British Columbia.
1987-88 Introductory Psychology and Social Issues in Psychology, Alpha College, Vancouver, British Columbia.
1985 Psychological Explanations of Criminal Behavior and Introductory Psychology, Social Sciences Department, Douglas College, New Westminster, British Columbia.
1985 Introductory Psychology, Coquitlam College, Coquitlam,British Columbia.
1982 Psychology of Learning, Graduate School of Education Eastern Oregon State College, La Grande, Oregon.
1981 Preparing to be a Successful Non-smoker, Division of Continuing Education of Capilano College, North Vancouver, British Columbia.
1980 Current Concepts in Alcoholism, Continuing Education via ANIK B Satelite Network for the British Columbia Institute of Technology, Burnaby, British Columbia.
1980 Program Evaluation of Social Service Programs, Alcohol Studies Program of Langara Campus of Vancouver Community College, Vancouver, British Columbia.
1979 Future Impact of Advanced Technology on the Criminal Justice System, Criminology Department, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia.
1977-78 Treatment and Evaluation Methods for Group Home Staff, Workshops for the Ministry of Human Resources, Victoria.
1977-78 Psychological Explanations of Criminal Behaviour, Social Sciences Department, Douglas College, New Westminister, British Columbia.
1973-77 Introductory Psychology, Statistics Human Learning, Cognition, and Social Psychology Psychology Department, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia.
1970-72 Introductory Psychology, Statistics, Tests and Measurement, Psychology Department, University College Rutgers the State University, New Brunswick, New Jersey.
1988-92 Analysis of British Columbia College Student Follow-Up Survey for Strategic Information Research Institute, Burnaby, British Columbia.
1986 Analysis of Patterns of Psychiatric Patients’ Perception of Hospitalization for Dr. Maloney, Riverview Hospital Coquitlam, British Columbia.
1984 Analysis and interpretation of customer satisfaction survey data for Customer Service Results Department of British Columbia Telephone Company, Burnaby, British Columbia.
1983 Design and analysis of a market research survey for Douglas College, New Westminster, British Columbia.
1981 Design and field test of a stress management training module for Action B.C., Vancouver, British Columbia.
1977 Design and analysis of survey research on the effects of construction noise on residents of North Vancouver for Harford, Kennedy and Wakefield Ltd. Acoustical Consultants, Vancouver, British Columbia.
1977 Development of a proposal for implementing management by objective procedures in Region 13, Ministry of Human Resources, Burnaby, British Columbia.
1973 Development of a real-time data collection computer program for time and motion studies in machine language for Logical Technical Services, New York City, New York.
1973 Design and supervision of a field study of traffic noise effects on college students for King and Gavaris Consulting, New York, New York.